Friday, September 02, 2011

Keeping our eye on the ball

Make no mistake.  Gawd only knows there's enough reason to be disappointed in the Obama administration.  I think I've put enough energy into outlining what I think they've done wrong.  And I'm hardly the only person doing so.  But I draw the line at the whole "what difference does it make?" argument.  As I've said plenty of times, it's the difference between rappelling into the mouth of a volcano and just walking up and jumping off the edge.

It's not hard to imagine which would be preferable.  At least if you start rappelling into the crater, you have a chance to change your mind.  Much as we have the chance, however slight, to turn this whole thing around as well.

I honestly don't know what to expect from Obama at this point.  It scares me that so many things we hated about the last administration have remained in effect and ongoing.  Only some of this is the war... I'm more concerned about the security apparatus that remained in place after Bush left office.

And I could go on about the failures of supply-side "voodoo" economics for days.  We all know them.  Or those of us with the ability to wrap our brains around the obvious.  Employers don't hire people they don't need if they can, instead, push the current staff to handle the load coming in.  Less expenditure, more profit.  But, unfortunately, this behavior sends out ripples, affecting all other businesses in the area.  Fewer people making money means less money spent, which means lower profits for everyone.  A downward spiral.  Every person who loses a job, or loses welfare, is one more person unable to make purchases to help drive the economic engine.

So, yeah... we all know this.  So what?

Michele Bachman is what.  Rick Perry is what.  Mitt Romney is what.  I'd add Ron Paul to that list, but the media won't take him seriously.  The best thing for all of us would be if the old loon ran as a Libertarian.  For the first time the Libertarian Party would have a decent showing and that would draw off votes from the Republicans.  It's about time we had the chance to see them repaid for 2000.

As upset as we are by what we may (rightfully or otherwise) view as the failures of this administration and many of the Dems in Congress, we cannot allow the Republicans to win in 2012.  Cannot.  I don't care if you have to drag yourself to the polls by the scruff of your neck.  Vote.  And vote Democrat.

I don't want to hear "They'll never learn if we keep voting the lesser of two evils."  Right now too much is at stake to be thinking like that.  There's a good chance that the next four years will see the retirement of at least two, if not three, Supreme Court Justices.  And anyone with any thoughts whatsoever about the Citizens United decision, to name only one, should be considering this very closely.  Do we really want to allow a Christian Dominionist Republican to choose those Justices?

Not only no, but hell no.  Not only hell no, but fuck no.

No excuses.  I don't want to fucking hear them.  I'd vote for a mewling lamb before I would stand by and let those freaks take control of my home. 


No comments: